TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: help requested OTARI MX-5050  (Read 5999 times)

Offline Garysdaughter

• View Profile
help requested OTARI MX-5050
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:08:39 PM »
My Dad passed away leaving a OTARI MX-5050 among his possessions.

I do not know for sure what it is, how to put a value on it (besides sentimental) and how to go about selling it.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Phylene

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: help requested OTARI MX-5050
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:09:19 AM »
Hi Phylene, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
If you could let us know the area you live in, we may be able to arrange having someone from our group to give you an informal appraisal of it. I don't know if you realize it but reel to reel is a pretty rare interest now days but you'd never know it from hanging around here. Otari's are pretty popular but unfortunately, there are so many of them out there that they don't command the kind of money they really deserve. These things are very heavy and so shipping them is a nightmare. I'd suggest Craig's list as a likely starting place.
A few relevant questions if I may,..
There were quite a few models of the 5050 but there should be a sticker or plate on the back that'll give the serial number and exact model.
Was the machine in current use or has it been in storage for a while?
BTW If you feel weird about posting the city you live in, you're welcome to email or PM me. You can find my info under ironbut on the members list you'll find by clicking the Members button above.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Garysdaughter

• View Profile
Re: help requested OTARI MX-5050
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:10:33 PM »
Ironbut,

Thanks for replying.  I will go home tonight and take a picture of the machine and find the serial number as well.

I do not know if my Dad ever even used it.  I have allot of amps and things that he bought for something he was inventing and they are still sitting in the boxes as well.

He went into the nursing home before he died and he gave the machine to my son to list on e-bay so we could prepare to pay for his stay and then he died before we could get anymore info on things.

He passed away in August of 2007 and I do not know how long he had the machine before that.  It has taken me just this long to be able to type that without crying.  I sure miss that man. (thanks for your kind words too.)

I am in Brigham City Utah if anyone is around here.  I have a big dog and a husband, and my life is an open book around here anyway (big fish little pond thing). (c:  But thanks for your concern.