TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Stravinsky Pulcinella/Apollon-Argo  (Read 9635 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Stravinsky Pulcinella/Apollon-Argo
« on: March 17, 2007, 10:10:07 AM »
Aside from the Mercury/Dorati Firebird complete recording which has been reissued a number of times, sound quality wise, this recording is to die for. It is a real workout for a fine analog system. I've owned a vinyl copy of this since the '70's and it still makes me happy that I've gone the audiophile route every time I play it. The details captured by Decca border on being too forward with the clacking of woodwind valves, musicians shifting etc. The sound of the brass (particularly the french horns and trombones) is as good as I've heard recorded. The dynamic range has got to be right on the bleeding edge of what was posable with the cutting heads of the the time (and now for that matter). Neville Marriner and The Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields do a fine job interpreting the neo-classic Stravinsky. When I think about Pulcinella I "hear" the blatt of the trombones, the warm burnishing of the french horns, and the "swing" of the double reeds and flute. These memories come from this album. If I never heard it again, I'd still enjoy it!  Argo ZRG 575
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
Re: Stravinsky Pulcinella/Apollon-Argo
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 09:39:59 AM »
This is an absolutely superb performance and recording. A great recommendation!

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »
It'd better be good!

Nice grab! Your gonna love it!
Make sure and post here again if you like it as much as I do.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 05:22:13 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: Stravinsky Pulcinella/ Outstanding Argo
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
This is one of the best Argo recordings I've heard. I have it on tape and it is sweet with a huge soundstage. The Academy of SMITF play both pieces beautifully. The LP is no slouch either.
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:03:40 PM »
Yeah, every time I come back to this thread I think how great it would be to have a 2 track,15 ips 1-1 dupe of the master! Yikes!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:01:07 PM »
I brought down the record from California last week. Tonight I cleaned it and played it.

As passionate as Steve's description is it doesn't do justice to the record. There is nothing that I like most than the sound of brass instruments and I had never before anything like this.

Now I'm sure I have the best system in the world!

Thanks Steve, I owe you another one!
Xavier Cortes