Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: How to remove RS-1500/1506 Control "marker" rings?  (Read 7323 times)

Offline audiolab1

• View Profile
How to remove RS-1500/1506 Control "marker" rings?
« on: April 13, 2009, 04:16:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of refurbing my RS-1506.
In order to really clean everything properly I would like to remove the bottom faceplate.
To do this the knobs from the controls and the switch caps need to be removed.
Easy so far, but there are "marker" rings under a couple of the pots, these are used to mark a reference setting or position for the control pots. The knobs themselves are held on with allen or hex screws, but I can't see how to remove these "marker" rings.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Andrew

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove RS-1500/1506 Control "marker" rings?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »
Yeah, I ran up against the same problem a few years ago. I never did figure out how those things come off. I didn't have any noises coming from those pots so I never really pursued it. I believe that it's held in by a circlip on the inside of the the faceplate. You may be able to access it by pulling the bottom panel off but I think that the pots are actually soldered directly to the top of the main board down there. In that case, you'll have to go through the back, pull the capstan control board and maybe the motor to get at those. But, if you're in the same situation that I was in, if it don't stink, don't stir it!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline audiolab1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »
Lovely...why didn't they just use another set screw for this???
Oh well...I'll clean it up as best as I can.
Thanks!

Andrew

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 03:57:13 PM »
Hey Andrew,
I was wondering if you ever did get that bottom faceplate off.
I was looking at my machine a few weeks ago since I'm planning on doing some record electronics upgrades and removing that plate might help. I haven't gotten into it yet but I was thinking,.. do you really need to take those reference rings (or whatever they're called) off in order to remove the faceplate. Unless they decided to secure the shaft of the pot to those rings (which shouldn't have any practical purpose since the rings don't control anything) maybe you just take the inner knobs off and the whole thing slides over the pot shafts (I think the pots are PC mounted).
Just a thought. I'll be jumping into the record board this summer so but I'll be sure and post my findings then.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Jettster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
Hi,

The Marker rings are held by circlips on the back of the panel.

If you remove all the knobs with setscrews and wiggle the lever knobs off-just remove the four allen screws

and the face plate will come right off, allowing access to the c clips on the inside of the face plate.

Good kuck with your resto.

Jett