Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Annis Han-D-Mag: The only choice?  (Read 8198 times)

Offline audiolab1

• View Profile
Annis Han-D-Mag: The only choice?
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:40:41 AM »
Hello all,

I am finally close to putting together a full set of tools for proper setup and use of my open reel machines.
I already have a very good Tek scope and have recently purchased an MRL test tape and some proper splicing tape, new empty reels, leader tape, etc. The only thing that I'm now missing is a demagnetizer. I see lots of praise for the Han-D-Mag, but as someone who recently became un-employed I am having a hard to justifying the high $70 cost. Are there no old school units like the Realistic unit or the old Teac E-3 that will work properly? I don't want to damage anything or make it worse but I am really having trouble with parting with my cash for the Han-D-Mag. Any thoughts?

Andrew

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
Re: Annis Han-D-Mag: The only choice?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
Han-D-Mag is the best, but there are plenty of older demags on eBay for a lot less.  Maybe not as powerful as a Han-D-Mag, but any decent one should work fine.  Technique is more important that power with a demag, anyway.
Bob Schneider

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Annis Han-D-Mag: The only choice?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »
Hi Andrew,
There might be other good units out there but I'm not personally familiar with any of them. I'm assuming that you're thinking about picking one of those other ones on eBay right? I don't think I'd take the chance with a with a questionable past for the amount of money that would save ( I'd worry about it not working at all or not up to spec). But the good news is that I think that the need for a demagnetizer has been blown out of proportion. I mean, it's something that you have to use to keep from damaging your tapes and to get peak performance, but it really isn't something that you have to do more than a few times a year (and that's with pretty heavy use). I mean, to tell you the truth (and I'm sure Kurt from US Recording Media would cringe if he read this) all the Tape Project subscribers could probably get away with having one Hand-D-Mag and just pass it around!
Give me a PM and we'll see what we can work out.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades