TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Studer service  (Read 23379 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Studer service
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:29:18 PM »
Hi...I received the attached lists of folks providing service for Studer machines from the Harman Pro North America rep.

Jack Clark at JM Technical Arts does some Studer work...I'm putting my bets on him and having a B67 I won on Ebay sent to him for service.  I'll let folks know how that goes...

Best...Hopkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Re: Studer service
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 11:32:12 PM »
Hi all --- it looks like no activity on this thread in 120days...hmmm...FYI, if you need Studer work in the Bay Area, you might want to contact Angel Gentchev.  He's pretty busy these days with a 9-5 job, but he seems to really know Studers and has been great in reviving mine from the brink of UPS damage.  He has a store on ebay under reelproaudio and he has a web site at:  http://www.reelproaudio.com/  I don't know how up to date his site is, but I see its' still there....

I bought my first machine from him and he's been great steering me along...I have to laugh because when I first met him, he wanted to sell me an A810 which I couldn't even comprehend.  Anyhow, its' a year later and I have one!!!

Thanks Ironbut for reminding me to update this!
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
Would like to add that Mr. Steve Smith also repairs the Studer B-67 recorder. His main focus remains all Studer recorders. He worked for the Studer factory for over 20 years and 15 years as an independent tech. He says he loves working on Studer tape recorders.

Addendum: On January 17, 2008 I spent 45 minutes speaking via phone with this fine southern gentleman. What an exciting phone call. Here is a man who is obviously very busy with a Studer recorder on the workbench, yet he took this time to answer my many questions about the Revox C-270, Studer A-820/827 and the Studer B-67 recorder. I has specific questions about each of these recorders and Mr. Smith answered each one fully.

I was immediately impressed Mr. Smith's love for what he does. He talks about making each Studer recorder as brand new. Mr. Smith comes accross as a man who is not only dedicated to his work but is also commited to doing the very best repair he can on every Studer recorder that comes into his shop. This fine gentleman is also prepared to relap tape heads as well as overhaul recorder motors. He appears to be a man for all seasons.

He shared with me that Studer/Revox did not make many of the C-270/274/278 recorders. He also informed me that these recorders were complete new designs. Studer did not use any parts from their earlier recorders which means that parts for any C-270 that needs repair will be hard to come by. This is important information for me since I had planned to purchase a C-270 this weekend. I am so blessed to have been able to has speak with this gentleman and length. I am convinced of this gentleman's sincerity. As soon as I purchase a Studer recorder Mr. Smith gets to do whatever it takes to make it as new. You may contact Mr. Smith at his work address and telephone number below.

Steve Smith
564 Singer Drive
Madison, TN 37115
1-615-870-1254
[email protected]

Bob W.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 05:02:09 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 10:07:44 AM »
Thanks to heideana's list of authorized Studer techs in the West Coast, I found Steve Culp at Triad Studios in Redmond WA - located only 20 min. from where I live. 

Steve is a very nice person who went to Studer in 1999 for factory training and had been working on Studers, Sonys, Ampex's, etc. ever since.

My portable A810 is getting an overhaul with new power caps and fine tuning to be put back to the original factory spec.

Steve's rate is $65 per hour in his shop and $75 per hour plus mileage during house calls!  I will consider inviting Steve to my house to give my Sony APR-5003 a check up.

It was a SIGN that Steve was so near where I am.  I will not need to take a chance and spend huge expenses in shipping the Studer A810 anywhere for the future.  Thus, A810 is a keeper.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:26:44 AM »
Hello Ki,
Welcome to this great family of enthusiasts. We love our music and tape recorders. Tell me, what are you using your Sony APR 5003 for primarily? I plan to use my 5002 for playback and music transfers. Thanks again for joining us.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:46:42 AM »
Hi Bob:

I mainly use (or will use) the Sony APR-5003 to record 15 ps 2 track from pre-recorded and master tapes.  Studer A807 will be my primary playback machine for 2 track and Otari MX-5050 BII for 4 track material.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline reel to reel collector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 04:00:18 AM »
I need Studer A810 service in the west coast. Preferably in california. I tried to download the posted servicer list but ti does not download saying "could not load"

Can someone give me the list? Southern and Northern California

Thanks
Paul L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 08:39:50 PM »
Any help? I need a Studer tech in california or in the west coast. Is Steve Smith the only option in the USA?

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
I think those attachments went away when we updated the software that runs the forum. Too bad, that's one of the prices to be paid for updating.

Anyway, there are other Studer techs in addition to the ones mentioned earlier in the thread. Several in California. What part of California would you like?

In Northern California, I have used all three of these guys: Krieg Wunderlich, 707-792-1047. Michael Gore, 415-469-0136. Angel Gentchev, as mentioned earlier in this thread, (510) 894-2025.

In Southern Californi, Charlie Bolois, long time west coast Studer factory service maven, (818) 841-1014.

That's just off the top of my head.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Charlie Bolois says his specility is 24 track, decks and A820,A80 ATR 102 etc. Not much A810.

Anyone else in Southern California?

If not in Northern Cali from the 3 guys you mentioned who has more experience doing A810's?

Thanks
Paul

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 12:05:26 PM »
Did you ask Charlie Bolois for a recommendation in SoCal?

In NorCal, Krieg is my go-to guy, he works on my A-80, my A-827 2" and my Atr's. Loads of other stuff too. Michael Gore has just gone through a 810 for me. And I know that Angel Gentchev has done 810's too. So you could use any of the three of them--see who has time to take on your machine.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject