Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Questions on Otari MX5050 B3  (Read 5700 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Questions on Otari MX5050 B3
« on: May 16, 2009, 09:53:58 AM »
I am becoming an addict. Just picked up an Otari MX5050 B3 in excellent condition for a great price. It was local and I spent over an hour testing it out mechanically and for suido performance. The only problem is that the seller couldn't find the manual. I downloaded a B2 manual from the web (thanks Steve Koto) and it looks very similar. This machine is 15/7.5 2 track only - there is a dummy head in place of the 4 track playback head.

The manual tells how to set the bias, record level and record equalization.

I can set the bias myself using the internal 1 K oscillator and the directions in the manual. Looks straightforward. Question - can I set the bias for two or three different tapes? Or do I have to reset everytime I switch tape types? Currently I am using RMGI SM468 (pancakes from TP) and NOS Emtec SM911 and its thin clone, RMGI LPR35.

On the record equilization, it looks like I need an external oscillator. Is it OK just to use the internal 1K and 10K oscillators. The manual shows a graph which shows flat response and then curves at high frequencies above and below the flat curve - with notations CW and CCW above and below the flat curves. I plan to record only at 15ips using IEC EQ.

Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub