Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: A recommendation and a question  (Read 7882 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
A recommendation and a question
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:16 AM »
One think that I tried just recently is to have two take up reels and rewind both reels of the TP album you're intending to listen to. That way you don't have to rewind side B in between sides and you can play the whole album almost continuously.

A related question. Let's assume you rewind one tape and for one reason or another you don't play it immediately. Is it OK to leave it that way for a couple of days. How stringent is the play-speed-tension/tails-out storing rule?
Xavier Cortes

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: A recommendation and a question
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »
Xavier, great idea. I have other two tape albums that i will also do the same.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
Hey you guys,

I don't know about your machines, but my Technics gets an almost perfect tape pack when I rewind a tape. It's also a constant tension machine so it should be fine to store the tapes for a little while this way. I do it all the time when I'm using a particular tape for tuning my system(tube rolling, trying cables etc). Even if there are a few wraps that are a little uneven and sticking out just a bit, it shouldn't be any problem. You do need to be a little bit more careful not to expose the tape to temps that are much above 68 deg. F (20 C).

For others reading this thread, bear in mind that I know that Doc or Shawn have adjusted both of these machines in question and so I'm sure that the tension is correctly adjusted. With other machines I can't be sure and more caution should be followed.

If the tension is adjusted too high and the tape is unevenly wrapped, then there's the danger of cupping the tape. One of the forces exerted upon a spooled tape is toward the hub of the reel. And if there is enough of the tape edges sticking out of the wrap and thusly, unsupported by the preceding wraps, the edge will start to bend toward the center. If you leave a tape like this for too long, this bending will become permanent and this "cupping" will result in decreased tape/head contact and lowered output of that channel.
If you'd like to know more about these kinds of tape problems and precautions you should take to avoid them, check out the "Tape Basics" section of the Beginners Guide which in a sticky about the General forum.

BTW Xavier, did you have any luck with your vibrating reels?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 04:44:32 PM »
Xavier, did you have any luck with your vibrating reels?

Nope. Sincerely I haven't had the guts to take the flanges out.

BTW Steve. Remember that I sold the BR-20 beacuse it had some issues that I didn't want to cope with? Well today I picked up another one. This one is in pristine shape. I'd better start saving to get some mental help!
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:05:21 PM »
Remember that I sold the BR-20 beacuse it had some issues that I didn't want to cope with? Well today I picked up another one. This one is in pristine shape. I'd better start saving to get some mental help!

Very sad,..
Once you're afflicted with the tape bug, it's time to move your system into a warehouse! (I guess it's better than most other illnesses though- oink-oink)
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades