TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Fantasy Label Jazz Titles  (Read 8916 times)

Offline TommyTunes

• View Profile
Fantasy Label Jazz Titles
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:22:01 AM »
I've been watching this project unfold over the last year and a half with great anticipation.  Apparently the Fantasy Jazz catalog is fairly easy to license since it's been reissued numerous times by many of the audiophile vinyl labels.  I'm not sure how they would react as far as the R2R format goes but it may be worth a shot. 
Thomas Caselli

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Fantasy Label Jazz Titles
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:18:50 AM »
I can't share any specifics at this point (gotta keep the competition guessing), but we are sensitive to the fact that a LOT of you tape heads are seriously into 50s-70s jazz. We're definitely planning to put out some great titles from some classic labels.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 03:40:28 PM »
Doc,

Let's just pretend I'm from Chicago and put me down for a million votes for the jazz titles (:-)!

Gary

Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 05:50:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the Fantasy catalog has been bought by Concord. I'm not sure if that will change the availability of rights but it certainly changes who you'll ask. I don't know if you've ever looked at the full Fantasy catalog, but it's shocking how many jazz "greats" are in there.
I agree that some classic jazz would be fantastic ( hard bop please! ). I don't know if you guys have been watching the prices on ebay on quality jazz but it is insane! I got outbid on Coltrane's"Ballads" a few months ago and the winner outbid me by $100! Most of the ones I've bid on since then has resulted in the same trouncing. I guess that's why our own U47 has his Kind of Blue 2 track out there for a buy it now of $350. If it's a good copy, I don't think I'd let it go for much less.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TommyTunes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 06:46:55 PM »
I can't share any specifics at this point (gotta keep the competition guessing), but we are sensitive to the fact that a LOT of you tape heads are seriously into 50s-70s jazz. We're definitely planning to put out some great titles from some classic labels.

When I relayed this to a friend his reaction is the same as mine, where do we sign up.
Thomas Caselli