TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: The most beatiful R2R... to me anyway...  (Read 12982 times)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
The most beatiful R2R... to me anyway...
« on: May 29, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »
For your weekend enjoyment.

Inspired by the beautiful SonoruS PR-99 deck posted few threads ago....

According to Jeff at J-corder, he made only two Sunburst J-corders.  So it is one of two in this world in 1960's Chevy Camero yellow.

I think it's the most beautiful R2R I have acquired so far.

.... Photo by reelnut, BTW

Ki

Ki Choi

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
Re: The most beatiful R2R... to me anyway...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 09:19:04 PM »
Ki that is way too cool my firend!!! Looks great enjoy it.

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »
Hi Ki,

That is a real beauty! It almost looks like it's make of leather and suede (which sure wouldn't be very practical).  That guy certainly does know his finishes.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »
Hi Ki.

I'm glad you like your deck. Not my cup of tea though. Enjoy it!
Xavier Cortes

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 09:59:43 AM »
I had the chance to meet Jeff last year and he is a great guy and does good work!
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 11:38:35 AM »

I think it's the most beautiful R2R I have acquired so far.

i do like the look.....Jeff's work is always very nicely done. i think the pale green wall behind it is the perfect accent in the picture. and the uniqueness of 'only two like that' has it's own cache'.

'Audio gear as art' is part of the fun of the hobby. anything a bit retro particularly lends itself to the application of creative license to bring it back to life and make it fresh. i have my Technics SP-10 Mk3 and Garrard 301 tt's with custom plinths in that direction.

OTOH as far as 'most beautiful R2R you have aquired' my money would be on your A820. even totally stock to my eyes the A820 humbles the look of any other piece of audio gear i have yet seen in elegance of design, fit and finish, and especially ease and elegance of use. i have a hard time separating the look of something from it's functionality.

btw, just how many RTR decks do you have now? i think we all would enjoy a picture of your 'herd'.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:43:28 AM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
Hi Mike:

Yes, I may have been too haste in making the statement...  The J-corder is similar to a beautiful woman with very nice make-up on whereas the A820 is a pure natual beauty inside and out!

I am learning how to take bounce flash photos.  There are few I have taken of the R2R collecton few months ago that I will share with the group later on.

My uncontrolled binge hording of tape machines got to stop.  To answer your questions on how many correctly will take some time...

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:42:50 PM »
  To answer your questions on how many correctly will take some time...Ki

Yikes!
Anytime you have to work on getting an accurate count, that's a lot!

I can certainly understand it though. Lord knows how many I'd have if I had the room!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
Nice one Ki!!!  Did you hit the lottery or something?  ;)
Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »
Hi Joel:

I  never won the lottery...but am certian I deserve it! I am still hopeful though ... it will be my turn someday.

However, I was lucky enough to come to US as a teenager with wopping $28 in my pocket (used to be $30 but used ~$2 in Chicago airport to buy hot dog and some other food, I recall), received good education along the way almost for nothing, and have a career that enables me to send two kids to college at the same time, pay my taxes and wife's credit card bills, and still have some leftovers to feed my R2R obsession - mostly Studers and few others like the J-corder...

What a country!

Ki
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:29:48 AM by Ki Choi »
Ki Choi

Offline joeljoel1947

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »
Well Ki my friend, you are living the "American Dream", congrats!  Especially considering these tough economic times.  I bet Jeff is not moving too many of his J-corder decks right now.

Regards,
Joel Kozlowski

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »
Thanks, Joel.

Jeff has about 70 unfinished Technics R2Rs in his shop when I visited him to pick up the Sunburst RS-1500 recently.  I have never seen so many Techinics or R2Rs in general under a single roof in my life...  It gave me a smile to know that there are "others"...
I did ask him the same question - how's his business is doing in difficult ecomonic times?  He said he used to ship on average one J-corder a week mostly to Europe - to my surprise.  However, it had slowed down to one J-corder a month (maybe on good month...sadly).   He is a nice person and certainly knows his Technies.  I am sure the market will pick up again for him.  It was also interesting to realize amount of effort he has to put into a standard RS-15XX in order to turn it into a J-corder cosmetically.

I plan to return to his shop to check on his progress on his new project to offer J-corder version of A810s!

Ki
Ki Choi