TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Cassette version of tape project.............  (Read 10178 times)

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
Cassette version of tape project.............
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:44:05 AM »
I heard from somewhere that in the 80's, some company tried to make pre-recorded audiophile quality music on cassette.

Can anone tell me what company that was?
Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

mep

Re: Cassette version of tape project.............
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 07:06:10 AM »
I believe MoFi did.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:26:34 AM »
Hey Red,

Nakamichi also did a series of high quality cassettes and I'm sure there were others also.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ben

• Bring on the music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »
That brings back memories ... the last time I heard a nice audio cassette was
in around 1981 on good machine with headphones. I suspect the problem was/is
the problem is cost cutting consumer market and audiophile quality equipment.
Set 45,Open baffle speakers,Otari 5050,,Pioneer DV-79AVi DVD/CD/SCAD player

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »
I bought several of the Connoisseur Society cassettes produced by INSYNC in the 80's. They came in a couple of different types. The best were encoded Dolby C and were on Chrome tape with 70 ms EQ.  I could play them back on my Nak Dragon that had dolby C.  The Connoisseur Society records from the 60's and 70's had great performances from such artists as Ivan Moravec, who was one of the best pianists I have ever heard. Saw him twice, once in San Francisco and once in Prague. I remember that they had some sort of subscription purchase arrangement, maybe similar to Barclay-Crocker, back in the early 80's. My memory is a bit foggy. 

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline draka1032

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »
I collect so-called "audiophile" cassettes. I have a number by MFSL, Nakamichi, In-Sync, Nautilus, Delos, DMP and other smaller labels. The better ones sound quite amazing. I am always looking to fill in gaps in my collection if anyone is interested in trading. I have many duplicates

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »
Thanks guys, which brands were metal tapes?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
The IN SYNC cassettes were chrome bias, but not metal. They were TDK SA 60's and 90's. What was probably as important was that the Dolby C cassettes and some of the dolby B were recorded in real time - something that was very rare for any commercial tape - cassettee or R2R, except of course our TP tapes.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline draka1032

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 06:30:05 AM »
The Nakamichi cassettes were real time dubs on to TDK MA metal tape. The Delos were real time dubs onto TDK MA-R tapes. The Nautilus were real time dubs on to Maxell UDXL-II. The In-Sync were also on TDK SA-X in some cases and I believe that all of the later ones were real time dubs. The MFSL were real time dubs onto BASF chrome tape in special housings. The DMP were real time dubs onto either Scotch Type II or TDK SA.

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 07:54:54 AM »
...and I greatly appreciate your input.

Even though I am a R2R wannabee for now (i'm looking for and saving money for lyrec, which was recommended by notorious "dolph", who can be a bit opinionated even onto things he's not as expert as in musical matters.

Still, when it comes to muscial advice, so far he's been right on the money.  His advice on which cassette to use for mix saved me a lot of money and time. 

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:53:50 AM »
I have a Blue Note reissue cassette of Miles Davis Vol.2 that's on Cobalt CS 1 (I think that's what it says?). It's a digitally remastered recording (XDR) with Dolby HX. It sounds very good. Seeing that I'm a lover of all things "miles" I'd love to locate Vol. 1 and any other Davis cassettes from the 1500 series (10" vinyl). I haven't found much info on this but if you guys know anything about these Blue Note XDR, digitally remastered, "treasured masters" series I'd love to hear it.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades