Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Cuban music...........  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
Cuban music...........
« on: June 03, 2009, 04:26:33 AM »
and one of my all time favorite, "Veinte Anos".

The version that I like the best is by a Greek female vocalist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIRosL9YYro&feature=related

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Cuban music...........
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 10:58:38 AM »
Hey Red,

It's always a good idea to list any info you have on these recordings you'd like to see released on the Tape Project. Label, issue numbers etc.. Being as specific as possible will increase the possibility that the powers that be will be able to locate the the recording, and then find out if it's something that meets the criteria for a Tape Project tape.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stin-Akri-Filiou-Margarita-Zorbala/dp/B000062W70

Veinte Anos is on the album, "Stin-Akri-Filiou-Margarita-Zorbala", released in 2000.

As that fellow reviewed on the link, there's something very special about her voice.  I'm not saying it is just good enough, or better than other singers.

I heard many different versions of "Veinte Anos", including a famous version by Omala from "Vuena Lavist Club", but her version just blows away all the others, her voice is both surreal and dynamic.   Both "musical", and "Tight".

There are too many mediocore singers out there who are better known.   What a shame, a truly gifted singer like her remains virtually unknown outside Greece and Russia.

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
The Label is Minos EMI.   

Normally I am a cheap skate, for me to fork over a big chunk of money like they do in TP, it better be damm special.    I am willing to for her songs.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »
I think you've come to the right place, as we feel that the music we put out is damned special.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:49:49 PM »
Just additional info.

Zorbala was discovered by Mikis (of Greek Zorba fame) when mere a teenager in Soviet Union.  Here is more info,  http://hollerif.blogspot.com/2005_11_20_archive.html

All that time spent cruising through youtube, listening to that digital crap, (even though now I use Tivoli radio speaker to listen to it, far better than most computer speakers, even Bose, when listening to music so long as not going overboard in volume) sometimes pays off.

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »
Thanks for the Cuban music suggestion, Red. I can also recommend the "Buena Vista Social Club", produced by Ry Cooder. Made in a vintage Cuban recording studio, very real sounding.
Cheers, Ken

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
Well, I heard the version by Omala, it has its own charm as a vintage, but technically and pure musicality wise, I like the Greek version better.   In fact, I've noticed there's a great deal of creativity when it comes to music among Greeks, Vangelis was one of them.

Offline Harry Hasbun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
Funny I was thinking last night of suggesting the Buena Vista Social Club, I just think its magical.  Anyway count me in on some latin Cubana music!