Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Transport that has no record or reproduce electronics  (Read 6708 times)

Offline ecir40

• View Profile
Transport that has no record or reproduce electronics
« on: May 01, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »
Is there a list out there with what decks that meet this criteria.

I noticed the Ampex 934 that Doc used when he modded the seduction in his article here.
http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/bottleheadtapeheadpreamp.htm

Just thinking if you have plans to already use an external repro amp and your needs are only for playback it would be easier to troubleshoot something like this when the need arised.

Decks that use 10" tapes would be of most interest. 
Brad

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Transport that has no record or reproduce electronics
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 03:30:06 PM »
The only consumer type decks I know of like this are some very early Tandburgs (model 60?), one model of Otari 5050 and the Technics RS1800 (both of these came with detachable electronics packages).Of course, most studio decks could be ordered without the electronics package along with your choice of head configurations. There may have been other very early consumer machines (as evidenced by the presence of tape head inputs on some preamps) but I don't know of any particular model. If you care to look into some of these, I'd suggest posting a query on the Tape Trail forum of the Audio Asylum. There's a fellow there (daveinVa) who has a huge collection of machines and seems very knowledgeable in old consumer reel to reels. Aside from that, check out the online collection here;

http://reel2reeltexas.com/index.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline glimmie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 03:57:14 PM »
There are some Ampex 350s on EBAY right now. They don't get more rugged than this!
Andy Delle

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 12:09:56 AM »
I owned a Teac 35-2B that came in 2 cases, transport and electronics. All head connections brought out on RCA connectors. There may have been other  2 track, 10.5" reel, 15ips,. machines from them in that era with a similar setup.
There were in fact many early consumer 7" reel 1/4 track transports offered from Sony (my dad had one) Viking and others to plug into those tape head inputs on those old preamps. My dad plugged his Sony into Eico preamps (2 mono ones!) that IIRC had settings for  7 1/2 as well as 3 3/4 NAB plus all the record curves.
It always had a ground loop hum issue no matter what we tried...

I did more research, I guess it did not hae eq for both speeds
Eico HF-61
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-EICO-Mono-Tube-Pre-Amp-HF-61-Preamplifier_W0QQitemZ170316555344QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item27a7a86450&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A13%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

the deck and record electronics were these -
http://reel2reeltexas.com/vin63SonyCat262.jpg
Sony 262-D and SRA-2 record amplifier
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 11:36:07 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ecir40

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:08:24 PM »
Didn't catch your edit till now, nice research and thanks for the links.

I started to think more about this and realized that I could turn my spare MX5050 BII2 basically into a MX5050. The deck does need an overhaul but does work and is in decent condition.

This is not a priority project but I did jump into it just to see.

Here is what I did:
Removed the record reproduce amp.
Removed all XLR's.
Removed wires from plug on headstack.
Removed remote plug and wires back to the switches and control pcb.
Removed blue wire from record led to control pcb.
Removed all of the wires from the control board that plugged into the record reproduce amp. (see pic for details)

All of the above would be easy to reverse.

A direct head wire now has a clear routing without any electronics in the way. One problem is the deck is now top heavy but have an idea to fix that. Another thing to do would be install dummy heads in place of the record and erase heads and another would be to look into removing all components from the control pcb that were used for the record reproduce amp but not sure if if that is really needed yet. Like I said this is just a project for another day but do see potential. One good thing about doing this is I am learning the schematic and its relation to the components in their actual layout.

If the pic isn't clear I can email a high resolution one.

Brad