Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Technics RS1506US  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Hershel

• View Profile
Technics RS1506US
« on: April 09, 2009, 02:56:23 PM »
Hello I just received my RS1506US on ebay and it looks just like a new machine except for one little item and it is the tape retention arms I think, the last place the tape hits before entering the reel. What I have is the chrome on the rollers have started to peel. I am wondering if this will cause a problem and if there a place to purchase new ones.. other than that machine looks great. I will hook it up tonight and see how it plays and sounds.... thanks for any help on this.... Hershel
Hershel Slaton Jr

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics RS1506US
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:08:07 PM »
Hi Hershel, you're talking about the tensioners. You can remove these very easily. The outermost knob is screwed on. Sometimes there are spacers in there so keep track of what goes where. Next is the bearing. It's made of stainless steel and it's just that,.. a bearing. The rest is just an inner flange. If the chrome is coming off of the flange it may be better to either just remove it (so there's no edges to damage the tape) or have it replated. There are lots of places that do this (and it's one nasty business). Most of these places replate household items like door/cabinet hardware or auto trim. Call around, there can be huge differences in price (it's decidedly un-Green so a lot of the price is their cost to dispose of acids/cyanide etc.). If it's the knob, that's almost entirely ornamental so it's up to you. Unless Doc has one lying around and hasn't used it for a cool looking knob on his Telecaster, you'd almost have to buy a parts deck to get one.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Hershel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »
Hello again, yes it was two small bearing, which I have on order should be here in a few days, now I need to get some new tape but I am now sure what machine was set up for... thinking about 900 which says is same as 456... but I do have some old Ampex 456 I bought new a long time ago but am afraid to use because of sticky tape problems...Thanks again  Hershel...
Hershel Slaton Jr

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 10:11:36 AM »
Hey, good deal Hershel (regarding the bearing). You should get yourself a service manual. Even if you have someone else do the servicing on your deck, it's best if you have your own manual since lot of repair guys won't have one and having them find the info could seriously delay the safe return of your deck.(especially the ones who specialize in pro audio)

Regarding the 456, it really depends on what you're recording. I have a few reels of it laying around for utility purposes like doing tests etc. However, I'd never use it for something that was important because of it's high likely hood of going sticky (some archivists believe that it is in fact, inevitable given time). In place of 456, I'd stick with a current production tape like RMGI 468. The Tape Project guys have a pretty insanely good deal on tape that consists of the left over tape after they record their albums. It'll have a couple of splices on a 10.5" reel and it's supplied on a pancake (just the hub without the flanges or regular box but you can get those from US Recording Media) but they're so darn cheap that it just doesn't make any sense not to have 5 or 10 reels of it laying around. Other than that, I hear that the ATR Magnetics tape is really popular but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:31:13 PM »
Steve,
Regarding the left-over 468 you mentioned, is there a link to purchase?
Thanks
Brian
Brian Downey

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 06:17:14 PM »
Brian, look down about 6 topics in this thread. You'll see Doc's email about how to order the tapes. I picked up 2 cases - 20 each for $120 per case. I've recorded 36 of them so far and have had no problems.  You can see my comments on the same thread.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:41:54 PM »
Found it.  Thanks.
Brian Downey