Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Studer A80 DIN/AEG table reels  (Read 8164 times)

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
Studer A80 DIN/AEG table reels
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:26:03 AM »
I have just bought  a pair A80 RC A80 DIN/AEG table reels of the later model. They were quite dirty and I disassembled them for cleaning. Unhappily as soon as I take the screws out, three little springs jumped out and I can not find in the several A80 manuals a diagram of assembly for this type of table reel. Any help will be very much appreciated.  Also I would like to know the purpose of the second under disk that is able to rotate freely.
If by chance you know where I can buy the cine adapters for these reels at a nice price please drop me mail - I am now looking for a pair.
Francisco

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Re: Studer A80 DIN/AEG table reels
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »
Hi Francisco:

Fortunately, A80s and A820s share reel adapters.  You can see the explored drawings of all four types of Studer reel adapters in A820 manual section 8 page 31.

I too have lost few of the small springs while working on the adapters on a dark rug.  Now I work on them over a veige carpet that shows small parts easily when I drop them.  ;-)

Did you lose all three springs?

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 06:01:50 PM »
Hi Ki,

Thanks. Unhappily the type of DIN table reel I bought is different from the one shown in the A820 manual - it is more complicated as it has a floating outer ring and a plate screwed from bottom. I am used to assembling strange mechanisms, but this time I can not figure where to put the springs and how to keep them in place when re-assembling. As they say curiosity killed the cat!
Happily I was able to find all the springs, although the last one was far from my table.

Francisco

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »
Hi Francisco:

Although the top portion of the different reel adapters are not alike, bottom round portion with three black plastic latch that are spring loaded are the same for all Studer Master Recorders.

The trick in re-assembling the adapter is to partially assemble the bottom plate onto the top portion leaving some space in between where the spring and the black plastic latch go into.  As you hold the partially assembled adapter, you put in the small spring and follow it with the plastic piece one by one while keep paying attension to keeping the assembly together.  After you have inserted both springs and the plastic latches, then you screw the bottom pieces in completely.  Make sure you are not pinching the springs.

Try it, it will work.  If you still can't get the assembly to go together, let me know.  I will disassemble one and take photos of assembly steps for you.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline cosmo_man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 06:10:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

I need an adaptor to mount an AEG pancake on my Studer A80.   Sounds like there are some Studer made
ones around.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get one in the U.S.?

While I am writing, I'm also looking for a place to get empty 10.5" metal reels and cardboard boxes.  I will look on ebay, but
I haven't seen boxes there yet....

thanks! 

Adrian

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 06:50:47 PM »
Hi Adrian:

You need the DIN reel adapter with Studre part number 1.013.343.00.

Metal reels and boxes can be ordered from here:

http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/opreelrectap.html

Ki Choi

Offline mithamo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »
hi there,
I have realy been wondering where to order from, finally found it thank Ki Choi.
Mithamo says Hi.