Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Technics 1520 motor help  (Read 14393 times)

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Re: Technics 1520 motor help
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 11:36:06 PM »
Those coils/pickups are custom made specifically for that motor.  They are not "off the shelf" parts. Only way to replace them would be to remove ones from another RS1500 motor. That would be a lot of work.  Easier just to replace the entire motor, of course. Sometimes eBay has them for sale.. Or if no motors available, buy a "parts" RS1500 deck and swap motors.

Also possible one could splice new extender wires on to the broken ones.  Or, if the ends of the broken wires are not accessible (are they?), one could remove the wire entirely from the coil form and install/wind all new wire.  New wire would need to be the exact same gauge as the old and the resistance would need to be close to the original coil (9.6 ohms). 
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline sk8ter

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 12:38:23 AM »
yes i was thinking on the vary same lines....wires are exposed but they are very small same size a phono cartridge wire....I will experiment tomorrow and see what i can do its too late for anything and i need to think on it..

do you have a beat up spare motor?

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:31 AM »
I have two Technics motors in my shop, but they belong to customer units. No spares.

Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline sk8ter

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
Ok did the repair...very very tiny wires like in a phono cartridge! here is a pix of the repair

I do not know if it will matter but i unwound about half turn to solder them ....back together and coated them with superglue! coil reads 10ohms

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
That should work.

Also re-install that .22uf cap you removed.  .22 is the correct value.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:33:07 AM by Tim »
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline sk8ter

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 11:00:22 AM »
Ok that was it i just tested it! ....I really appreciate you guys help thank you!!!!

Offline sk8ter

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
alright for anyone who many care...I wanted to give you a follow up as i have been playing some tapes ...

I will say the recapping makes this deck IMO up there with the very very best of them....my partner has a few of the ATR machines with aria electronics..20k each and I will not be ashamed to compare :)

and ..and i still have not done the preamp sections!...

wonderful machine I really do understand why there is such a following

Lawrence

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 01:47:42 PM »
Congrats Lawrence!
Enjoy your tapes and the music!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades