TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Service Resources / Re: Stellavox service and parts
« Last post by tapepath on March 16, 2021, 09:17:33 PM »
I have had my SP7 serviced by Mr. Simonet and he did a great job, so I can highly recommend him as a Stellavox service provider.
Service Resources / Stellavox service and parts
« Last post by High and Outside on March 16, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
We just received this notice by email:

Information importante

Unfortunately, Jean-Pierre Gurtner has passed away on June 5th 2018.
His Phone number as well as his address e-mail are not in use anymore.
Until further advice you may use the following contacts for help
New address :
Simonet Jean-Michel
Chemin des Brisecou 12
2073 eng
Swiss
Email: [email protected] or [email protected]
Telephone: +41 79 6376733
My name is Jean-Michel Simonet and I have been working with Mr. Gurtner in the Stellavox factory since 1969
I was responsible for customer service, final inspection and welcoming customers.
I have all the spare parts for Stellavox portable machines in stock, I do the repairs, Offers and sales
Thanks for the kind words Larry.
Just like when I first decided to get back into reel to reel, I always thought that the Barclay-Crocker tapes had a lot more in them than is generally thought. And like a few other members here, I went through a number of Dolby decoder units and found that they were all either edgy and hard sounding or muffled and veiled sounding. Neither genre had any soundstage to speak of and they robbed the tapes of that rich midrange that I love magnetic tape for.
After unsuccessfully trying to find someone to modify and upgrade one for me I finally decided to do it myself. It involved endless trial and error upgrades (over 2 years on and off) and Larry has the results.

The unit does pretty well with BC tapes but on some other brands, it does a fine job of showing just how important it is to have high duplication standards. The BC's also have the advantage of having a calibration tone included. From my experience, I don't think that it's necessary to have the calibration spot on but it does need to be close ( the spec is +/-  2dB).

I've still got some fiddling around to add a little gain for our tube repro gear but for balanced in and single ended out, it's finally done! Yippie!

Oh shoot! I forgot to say that the working name for this unit (since it spent so much time being experimented on) is " Pavlov's Dolby".

Dear Steve, I hope you are doing fine? I would be interested by getting a Pavlov Dolby from you... assuming you would recommend that for my A77 4 track to play BC tapes ;-) Many thanks fro your answer! cheers to you PS: [email protected]
Tape Tech / Re: Using Pancakes to store recorded tapes
« Last post by Jeffersondd on January 28, 2021, 11:47:00 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  Great idea.  I'll be doing some dubbing with pancakes and this will minimize the risk of a spill.  Not sure whether storing them that way is worth the risk.  Larry
On my ATR; I occasionally play pancakes on a 14” flange.  This is great for having one complete album on one reel.  Using a second flange is a great tip Paul and gives me a little more piece of mind.
Tape Tech / Re: Studer C37 restoration
« Last post by eraserhead on January 26, 2021, 10:14:08 AM »
Hello everybody,
I'm a new member and I want to ask if somebody saved the pictures of erasehead's topic?
Thank you.

willi

Hi all !

2021 pics video update here:
https://studio.youtube.com/video/yH4cx021Krc/edit
Tape Project Albums - general / Re: TP-029 Istomin/Mozart back in stock
« Last post by High and Outside on October 26, 2020, 09:54:34 PM »
They're back!
And it's back in stock too.

Will be restocking several other titles over the coming weeks as well.
Tape Project Albums - general / Re: So many tapes, so few boxes
« Last post by tapepath on June 08, 2020, 02:24:27 PM »
I received my box today, thanks for handling everything so efficiently! Much appreciated!
« Last post by High and Outside on June 04, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »
All remaining boxes are shipping this week.

Thanks for waiting!
« Last post by russe41 on May 23, 2020, 10:07:10 PM »
I need boxes for 2 titles,any idea when these will ship,I'd love to be able to display in original boxes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10