TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: teac x-2000r play problem  (Read 4893 times)

Offline christos

• View Profile
teac x-2000r play problem
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:41:42 PM »
ive got a beauty of a x2000r it was mine since new it was working perfectly up to 2 months ago but now when you press play it just doesent move it seems as its stuck the tape machine fast forwards and reverses perfectly and the tape is new so no sticky tape....this is my first post ive also got a pioneer rt 707 that has never been used...
Any advice would be much appreciated   cheers chris
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:50:08 PM by christos »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: teac x-2000r play problem
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 01:50:33 AM »
Hey Chris,
Welcome to the forum.
Some more details would help in figuring out what's going on.
For instance, does the pinch roller press the tape against the capstan?
Does the capstan turn?
Does it move at all in play? Or make sounds like it's trying to play?
Does the tension arm move up and down freely?

Some of these things stop working correctly on Teacs because the lubricant that they used on these has a tendency to harden after a while and jam up the works. Some of these things like the pinch roller can sometimes be freed up manually (moving it up and down by hand) but eventually, they need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline christos

• View Profile
Re: teac x-2000r play problem
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:35:57 AM »
hey thank you so quick with possible answers
The capstans are turning very freely once again this machine is mint but i think you may be right about the lubricants hardening up if i leave it on for awhile it heats up a bit(MAYBE WARMING THE OLD LUBRICANT) and starts
playing again although very slow and at inconsistant speeds...hey at least there is some life i feel like dr frankenstein...you know if it didnt work again hey i would be just happy to have it as a wonderous piece of audio history these reelers look great.But i would love to get it going again!
thanks so much i love this forum
   cheers chris 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:39:39 AM by christos »