Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Studer 810s for sale  (Read 20211 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Studer 810s for sale
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:02:27 PM »
Talk about wacky! There are a total of 9 of these machines for sale in the classified ads over on Audio Asylum. One guy has 2, another one has 7. If I wasn't walking the proverbial financial tight rope right now, I might try and see what kind of price the guy with 7 would go for. Also over on the 'bay, there's a glut of rs1700's and 1506's. One of the 1700's says that it has be gone through and the caps have been replaced. Expensive though.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
Re: Studer 810s for sale
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »
Talk about wacky! There are a total of 9 of these machines for sale in the classified ads over on Audio Asylum. One guy has 2, another one has 7. If I wasn't walking the proverbial financial tight rope right now, I might try and see what kind of price the guy with 7 would go for. Also over on the 'bay, there's a glut of rs1700's and 1506's. One of the 1700's says that it has be gone through and the caps have been replaced. Expensive though.

Hi Steve.  I don't want to steal any of these from you, but I was thinking about contacting the "I have 7" guy.  The problem is that his ad says "make an offer" and I have no idea how to approach this.  I've seen a couple of 810's go on e-bay for $1000, a couple more advertised for $3300.   Would you be willing to share any thoughts about what these machines might be "worth" (knowing, of course, that the real definition of "fair market value" is whatever someone will pay!).

I'm looking for a machine to join The Tape Project with, and so far I've been outbid on e-bay for a couple of Otari 5050's and a Technics 1506.  I've got my eye on a Tascam 32 right now, but I've been a fan of Studer ever since I owned an A77 back in my college days 25 years ago . . . and I figure that parts will be available for Studers for many, many years (though I've heard they are getting quite expensive).

John Colombo
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
I have the same sort of fond memories of the A77 that I had back in the '70s. I can't really budget an 810 right now so you guys have at 'em. If it's a deck for the Tape Project and not your "reel to reel project" I'd say, be patient and keep bidding on nice looking Technics decks. I'm super happy with mine and if I wasn't such a nut, I would never really have a need to upgrade. These mods that Doc and the gang are developing, elevate an already excellent machine right past many stock pro decks (certainly not all!). I'm with you on wanting to have a beautiful 800 series ( or god, have you seen that C37 that's for sale in Germany!) but the potential work and modding to make it a practical home deck would certainly cost at least $1k if you had a tech do it for you. Studer parts are available but man, are they $$$! So I'd say, cool your jets a bit, order your Tape Project subscription ( since they're going to be made on an yearly by order basis) and find a nice 1500/1506/1700. Ask the seller questions about how,how much, and when the deck was last used. People can't look at the heads and give you a decent estimate on wear so budget upgrading the heads fairly soon. Ask the seller to run the deck through it's paces;
1)   ff>stop
2)   rewind> stop
3)   play> stop (@ all speeds)
4)   ff>rewind>play
All preferably with 10.5" reels, if there is slack in the tape, tension/brakes(very common) need to be adjusted. If there's a pile of tape on the floor, move on.
5)   have him/her record something and playback ( if recording is in your future)
The more pictures the seller has, the better.
More often than not, you'll read " worked perfectly when place in storage". This is probably true but 30 years is a long time for capacitors, rubber belts etc.. Bypassing the playback electronics will solve a whole lot of headaches and in some cases, cost less (modded Seduction). The only 2 rubber belts are for the tape counter. These get hard and stretched out. Between a pair of old belts and a lack of lubrication on the pulley they turn on, it can make a Very loud screaching sound. Some of the time you can just oil the pulley and it'll go away for a while ( for me, 1.5 years so far) for others, it's easier to cut the belts and live with it till you replace them (you have to do some disassembly for this). This is super common and will make the seller think that the whole damn thing is going to fly apart on ff/rewind. That's good for you cause it's nothing.
Things to look out for;
Some of these decks were used in radio stations and project studios. There are pluses and minuses to this ( mostly minus). The number of hours on a mechanical device is critical. So a big minus is that these are All high mileage machines. On the other hand, most radio stations had service done on all their gear at regular intervals. That's why they can run 24/7 with very little down time( advertisers don't like down time).
So how do you tell if a potential deck was used in this way? Sometimes the sellers will leave the tags that have the name/number and date of the last time it was service on it. Think Jiffy Lube decals. Other than that, the general cosmetic condition will be bad. Look for razor blade marks across the headblock or around there ( editing).This isn't to say that you can't get a good one from a pro installation, but your odds are very low. Before so many people were looking for these, you could get one for really cheap from a radio station. But since the prices have gone up, there's no reason not to look for a hardly used home unit. And if the seller is not the original owner, ask where it came from.
That brings us to what we do want. Lots of folks in the late 70-early 80's bought these cause they looked cool. No joke! Panasonic ran a huge ( for reel to reel) ad campaign selling these. I subscribed to Audio magazine for decades and for at least a year, the back cover sported an ad for these. So the High Fidelity/Audio/Stereo Review reading public at the time took these home and recorded some of their records, their friends playing a DIY Heathkit organ etc.. and after the first couple of years ( and 2 regular services) they'd have Hmmm,.. I'd make a wild guess of 25 hours on the thing. Into the closet it goes.
That's what we're looking for here. And it may sound like a day dream, but with enough patience ( and spouses that "Will Not Allow that Thing to collect dust in our home another day") you can find one.
These will Not work perfectly. Like I said, the belts will need to be replaced, grease may have turned into coral, and unless they were really careful the 15 times they moved it, things will need to be adjusted.
Once they are adjusted and lubed, they do lots of things very well, and one thing great,.. handle tape gently and smoothly with a minimum of hassle.
BTW Don't limit yourself to Ebay. Check your local craigslist and you can actually touch the thing before you buy it.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »
Hello John,
I would be please to know if you did pick up the Tascam 32-2B deck. I just picked up one that is in superb condition. The tape heads are almost new and all rubber has been replaced. This machine is very tight.

Do you pllan to setup equalization for a certain tape yourself or send the machine out to someone else to do that? Please keep me in the loop.

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »
Hello John,
I would be please to know if you did pick up the Tascam 32-2B deck. I just picked up one that is in superb condition. The tape heads are almost new and all rubber has been replaced. This machine is very tight.

Do you pllan to setup equalization for a certain tape yourself or send the machine out to someone else to do that? Please keep me in the loop.

Bob Williams

Hi Bob.

No, I ended up with a successful bid on a Studer-Revox PR99 (the "studio" version of the B77).  The deck looks to be in excellent condition, but I'm going to send it to the Revox guy in Nashville to get it completely checked out.  Then I have a decision to make.  I could run the RP head output to an external Repro amp like the Bottlehead Seduction for IEC EQ, or I can get an IEC repro amp card for the Revox and simply convert it to IEC EQ.  Haven't decided which way to go yet; I can get a used card for the Revox for about $60, but it probably won't sound nearly as good as the Bottlehead.

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:10:45 PM »
Hi John,

Also be sure that the PR-99 is set up for 15 ips. Some are 7.5/15, some are 3.75/7.5. Not sure what is involved in modifying a slow speed machine. Paul has a slow speed version at the studio.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 02:24:27 PM »
Hi John,

Also be sure that the PR-99 is set up for 15 ips. Some are 7.5/15, some are 3.75/7.5. Not sure what is involved in modifying a slow speed machine. Paul has a slow speed version at the studio.

Yes, it is a high-speed version.  I picked it up yesterday, and it looks great.  The inside had virtually no dust accumulation - all the audio cards were immaculately clean, as are the motors.  The heads were a bit dirty, but cleaned up easily, and they look to be in good shape.  Pinch roller looks new.  I'm getting 7.5 and 15 ips MRL alignment tapes in tomorrow, and should know more when I get one of those on and check alignment/frequency response.

Doc, I can get an IEC repro amp card for this from sources in Europe for about $75.  I realize that it's not the Bottlehead, but any idea how bad/good it is?

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 09:10:23 AM »
I can get an IEC repro amp card for this from sources in Europe for about $75.  I realize that it's not the Bottlehead, but any idea how bad/good it is?

I have not listened specifically to a PR99 with that card. But in general the original solid state playback electronics in any 60's, 70's or 80's prosumer type decks are not going to sound as good as the premium repro amps from EAR, ATR services, or Bottlehead. As an example I have a Technics RS1520 with built in IEC playback electronics. After listening to a good IEC repro amp on an RS1500 I am not particularly inspired to use the 1520. But with that IEC card your PR99 will certainly be serviceable for Tape Project tapes at a very reasonable price. And it's worth having if for no other reason than it's a good backup and a nice accessory to include if you ever sell the machine. Make sure the machine is really well aligned, scrupulously clean, set to proper tension and properly lubed - so that your machine behaves at a performance level as close as possible to the machines that the tape was recorded on - and you should get good sound.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline tapepath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »
Hello John,
Congratulations on the Revox PR-99, it can be a fine sounding unit. Keep in mind there is only one resistor change, per channel, to convert an NAB to an IEC playback circuit. If you are at all handy at de-soldering a part I'd be happy to give you further information on how to make the swap. Also, you would want to make the audio connections from the "monitor" out connections on the top of the unit. This bypasses a great deal of circuitry that "clouds" the sound and can result in quite satisfactory performance. While I'm sure the Bottlehead playback amplifier is excellent, with a little work the PR-99 can hold its own.
Regards, Ken Swauger

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »
Hi Ken,

That sounds like a simple solution. Switching in a parallel resistor to change the eq is what we do to make a switchable NAB/IEC version of our Seduction kit. A couple of micro toggle switches and resistors mounted on the Revox EQ card that allow switching between the two eqs could be a neat way to retain the capability to play NAB tapes.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 04:42:49 PM »
Hello John,
Congratulations on the Revox PR-99, it can be a fine sounding unit. Keep in mind there is only one resistor change, per channel, to convert an NAB to an IEC playback circuit. If you are at all handy at de-soldering a part I'd be happy to give you further information on how to make the swap. Also, you would want to make the audio connections from the "monitor" out connections on the top of the unit. This bypasses a great deal of circuitry that "clouds" the sound and can result in quite satisfactory performance. While I'm sure the Bottlehead playback amplifier is excellent, with a little work the PR-99 can hold its own.
Regards, Ken Swauger

Not John but I also have a PR99 on the way. Please do pass this along. I'd love the info!
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 05:23:46 AM »
Ditto here...I working on converting all my machines to IEC and it'd be great to get the info on the PR99.  Also, what kind of cable do I need to access the monitor jack on the top of the PR99?
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:49 AM »
Ditto here...I working on converting all my machines to IEC and it'd be great to get the info on the PR99.  Also, what kind of cable do I need to access the monitor jack on the top of the PR99?

You need a 5-pin DIN to RCA cable (don't worry about the fact that the DIN jack on the PR99 or B77 has more than 5 holes; only 3 pins are active and all you need is a standard 5-pin plug).  You can buy them on E-bay, but they are also available at on-line cable stores (try Monoprice).  I made my own with a DIN plug from Parts Express and two 6' lengths of cable with RCA connectors.  If you roll your own, the common wire (black) from each RCA cable gets soldered to pin 5 of the DIN plug (ground).  Pins 2 and 3 are "hot"; I think pin 2 is channel 1 and pin 3 is channel 2.

As for the IEC conversion, the "single resistor" method only works on the original repro amp (the one with no op-amps in the circuit).  The original was used on the B77 and PR99 Mk1.  The Mk2 and Mk3 used op-amps in the repro board and can't so easily be modified.  But you can sometimes find IEC repro amps for sale on e-bay, particularly on the European or Canada E-bay versions.  Also, I was told (though I haven't tried this) that the old Mk1 repro amp will work fine in a Mark2 or Mark3 chassis.

John C.

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 10:40:59 PM »
Thanks for answering my silly question....I've got another one....If I want to convert my PR99's to IEC, do I need to replace 2 recording amp cards and 2 repro amp cards, or is there only one card for recoding amplification and one card for repro amplification....

I see something like this on ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Studer-ReVox-PR99-B77-record-PCB-HS-IEC-1-177-233_W0QQitemZ230096718366QQihZ013QQcategoryZ67812QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
but I'm not sure if I need 2 of them...best and thanks for any advice...Hopkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 05:59:15 PM »
Thanks for answering my silly question....I've got another one....If I want to convert my PR99's to IEC, do I need to replace 2 recording amp cards and 2 repro amp cards, or is there only one card for recoding amplification and one card for repro amplification....

I see something like this on ebay:  http://cgi.ebay.com/Studer-ReVox-PR99-B77-record-PCB-HS-IEC-1-177-233_W0QQitemZ230096718366QQihZ013QQcategoryZ67812QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
but I'm not sure if I need 2 of them...best and thanks for any advice...Hopkins

There are NO silly questions.  There is just one card for record and one for play: the Repro amp and the Record amp. The IEC Record Amp is 177.233.81; the IEC Repro amp is 177.877.81 (these are Mk1/Mk2 #'s; Mk3's are different).  Each of the cards has high-speed (15 ips) and low-speed (7.5 ips) sections.

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL