TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Otari MX5050 8 track: 4 channels not working  (Read 3932 times)

Offline tape newbie

• View Profile
    • tentigers
Otari MX5050 8 track: 4 channels not working
« on: December 22, 2009, 01:38:18 PM »
HI GUYS!

I'm a newcomer to tape, I just bought an Otari MX505 MKIII 8 track.  4 channels are currently not working when I run the 1K signal from the internal oscillator.  Anyone have any suggestions of where to start troubleshooting?

I would appreciate any advise if anyone has experienced a similar situation.

This machine looks brand new, the heads have minimal use.  All the transport functions work great, and the tape path is pristine. 

I'm mostly unsure of the signal flow from the input connectors to the amplifier channels.  If worst comes to worst, anyone know a good tech in the Western PA area?

THanks
Patrick Bowman

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari MX5050 8 track: 4 channels not working
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:05:18 PM »
Hi Patrick,
Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I'd do, is try using a source other than the internal oscillator (maybe a cd player) and go 2 channels at a time recording and then playing it back. Just use the same length of tape if you can. It could just be the connections to the oscillator.

One very common problem with tape machines is the switches get oxidized or dirty. Even a machine that's fresh out of the box but is 20 years old will have this problem. Try working the switches back and forth to clean a contact patch so the signal doesn't have to fight to cross the contacts.

It's a good idea to get yourself a manual and familiarize yourself with the way the signal is routed through the different components (record amp, mixer, playback amp, VU meters etc). That way, you can figure out the different switches and pots that the signal goes through (routing). Without knowing that, you're just guessing.

You should be able to download a manual here;

http://www.analogrules.com/

So, give the CD a try and please be as detailed as you can be regarding the symptoms.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades