Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Help needed - R2R Transport test RS-1506  (Read 6181 times)

Offline jazzisjazz

• View Profile
Help needed - R2R Transport test RS-1506
« on: February 28, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
 Howdy all.

Can anyone tell me if and how the transport functions of a Technics RS-1506 can be tested without having reels loaded on the deck?

I have a machine which I had refurbed a couple of years ago but never got around to setting it up for myself. I may wind up selling it and would like to be able to say that the transport is at least working. I can "trick" it into play, ff, and rev, but I don't know enough to say that things look, sound and feel as they should in operation.

Any help appreciated.

Jazzisjazz

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed - R2R Transport test RS-1506
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »
You won't be able to say with any certainty that any of the functions of the transport are working correctly without tape loaded really. There are a couple of diagnostic tests you can do with a scope but without a tape threaded, it's only a link in the chain. The best thing to do is find some tape (maybe someone locally?) and an empty reel.
Sorry, but proper tape handling is reliant on several systems that each have to be working correctly and then be working with each other correctly for playback/recording to sound good and not damage tapes.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades