Tape Project Albums > Saxophone Colossus

Mono playback

(1/4) > >>

Ben:
What is the best way to set up for mono playback of Saxophone Colossus
?

High and Outside:
We are making this one on two-track equipment like all the other releases, but with the mono signal on both channels. It was our assumption that most people would just want to thread it up on the system they always use, sit back, and enjoy. So that's what I suggest you do.

If you want to go to more trouble, you can route the left channel to both your speakers and just listen to that. Then, when you have someone special in to show off your stereo, you can route the right channel to both speakers instead, and play them some thing that's NEVER BEEN LISTENED TO BEFORE!

xcortes:
How about listening to one channel only in true mono? Since I saw a couple of mono tapes were coming I started experimenting with mono lps's (including OJC's version of Brilliant Corners) and I just love it that way. Sweet spot is as big as the house. Even when listening from other rooms sound is very nice. I wish I had more mono music!

ironbut:
One of my prize recordings is an original mono (1957?) of "Kind of Blue". The surface noise is a little higher than the other gazillion releases of the record I have but it sure sounds sweet! You don't get the feeling that Evans is playing in the other room (slight exaggeration) like on the stereo versions.

steveidosound:

--- Quote from: High and Outside on January 14, 2009, 03:05:54 PM ---We are making this one on two-track equipment like all the other releases, but with the mono signal on both channels. It was our assumption that most people would just want to thread it up on the system they always use, sit back, and enjoy. So that's what I suggest you do.

If you want to go to more trouble, you can route the left channel to both your speakers and just listen to that. Then, when you have someone special in to show off your stereo, you can route the right channel to both speakers instead, and play them some thing that's NEVER BEEN LISTENED TO BEFORE!

--- End quote ---

Well, there you have it from THE authority (or one of three).
I am kind of happy that I didn't say anything different ! :>)

My only other concern was that someone would think it a good idea to combine both tracks electrically via a mono switch somewhere in the system before sending it to one or both speakers. That - in my opinion - would still be a mistake as any minor phase shift because of playback head alignment would become apparent, especially at high frequencies. You wouldn't probably notice this unless it was really gross (and it shouldn't be if you used your alignment tape) if you played it as as stereo tape and let the channels combine in your listening room as Paul first suggested.

The reason that a mono switch DOES work for mono records is that the lateral groove cut by a mono cutter is exactly a mirror image on both sides, so any differential between the two sides of the groove is out of phase noise which cancels out. There really can't be a phase shift unless your cartridge is radically skewed in the headshell and not tangent with the groove.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version