Tape Project Albums > Waltz for Debby

VU LEVELS

(1/4) > >>

mep:
I am curious as to the levels other people are seeing on the Waltz for Debby tapes.  With the output level controls set on my Otari MX-55 approximately to the 1:00 position, my corresponding VU meter output levels are fairly low.  The tapes sound great-so I am not complaining.  I am just wondering if people are seeing low output on their VU meters and if not, how loud do you have your output level control set?  Thanks.

Mark

Tim:
I'm curious as well (as to the operating level of TP tapes)

You need to put any output level control on your deck to the calibrate position.  Often it's 3 o'clock and there is a mark at that spot.

Also, you need to know what flux level 0VU was set to on your deck.  There is no rigid standard, BTW.

There are 4 operating levels used for VU meters:

standard=185nWb/m
+3        =250nWb/m
+6        =355nWb/m
+9        =500nWb/m

Two examples:   0VU on your deck is set for 250 nW/meter

If, on this deck, TP tapes max out at zero VU, then TP uses a +3 operating level.  If meters max out at +3VU, then the tape has a +6 operating level.

0VU on your deck is set for 355nWb/m

If, on this deck, TP tapes max out at -6 VU, then TP uses a standard operating level

Tim

mep:
I was told by the TP to set the level to 250nw and I did.

Tim:
Your output level control needs to be set to it's CAL position (whatever that is).

If it's 3 o'clock, then it needed to be exactly set there when you set your meter calibration to zero (when playing back your 250 nWb/m test tape).

It also needs to be set there when playing back the TP tapes if you wish to determine what recording/operating level they used.

mep:
Tim-my basic question has gone unanswered.  My question is, what levels are other people seeing when they play back Waltz for Debby?  The levels seem very low to me and I wanted to know if other people are experiencing the same thing or not.  I played the Robert Cray tape last night and the levels are much hotter on that tape.  And again, I think Waltz for Debbie sounds great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version