Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Willy and the Poor Boys / Willy and the Poor Boys, new restoration
« Last post by High and Outside on November 16, 2023, 05:57:14 PM »
We had some problems with making more copies of TP-022, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Willy and the Poor Boys. We were noticing some degradation of our running masters. We contacted the label to get the original masters back so we could make fresh running masters. Unfortunately they said the original masters had degradation too. This left us in a tough spot. The title has been on hold for a couple of years while we figured out a solution.

Tape Restoration is something we do for clients, so we have some familiarity with the techniques. We worked hard to restore the running masters, but there were still some areas that we were unable to restore to our satisfaction.

Eventually we were able to come up with a version that overcomes the problems, but it required the use of digital tools. We have new running masters and we are making copies again. They have one pass through the digital domain and back onto 1" two track analog.

Does the restored version sound identical to our original version, minus the defects? No. Does it sound pretty darn good? We think so. This is what we will be using going forward.
Reel to Reel Tape Machines / Re: Teac 3340s - Teac a3340s
« Last post by High and Outside on October 30, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »
I only wish they would release some Gordon Lightfoot tapes as he was not just some musician.

Suggestions such as this--a very good one, by the way--are welcome in the Suggestion Box.
Reel to Reel Tape Machines / Re: Teac 3340s - Teac a3340s
« Last post by skywaveTDR on October 07, 2023, 05:17:42 AM »
I think most all this information is correct here. The A-3340S can be had in international version and the USA Domestic (TCA) version. What is not mentioned here is that after all these years the machines as in the A series decks with AC motor seem to be slowing down. Why is it that I see these machines running at 2940 Hz or around that and make corrections while no one else seems to? Well I had some custom made pulley made for the motors so that the correct speed could be had from these motors slowing down. Now in 2022 my machines stop making then so I have to find another. As I restore these machines I see the speed problem all the more and of the people I consult in the motor business they can not give me too much of a reason for this other than shorted windings. There was on the A6300 nothing that increased the speed in this machine that I did except add the new pulley which then brought the speed up to 3000Hz where 3K to 3015Hz seems to be acceptable. Now I am today in 2023 looking to get new PCB's made for the Sync Head boards that everyone likes to crush in. The 6 pole switches can not be found either so it seems to restore these decks there is always a challenge- besides finding new heads.  As I read hear about the Tape Project and modified machines, I must say I am impressed with what is done and written about them. I only wish they would release some Gordon Lightfoot tapes as he was not just some musician.
Reel to Reel Tape Machines / Re: Technics RS1500 head rewiring
« Last post by timmieec on August 08, 2023, 10:52:30 PM »
hello everyone!

for anyone looking for the link to the gold mine of an article Doc posted in reply #3, here it is :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20140208001224/http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/bottleheadtapeheadpreamp.htm

there's also a more recent, very short thread discussing this topic: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=13548.msg123625#msg123625

cheers!
Timothy
New Tapehead
Reel to Reel Tape Machines / Otari MX-5050BII - question on equalization calibration
« Last post by TomR on February 01, 2023, 12:22:58 PM »
It has been awhile since I posted here last - this used to be THE place for the RTR community, so here goes.  For many years I had a Technics RS1520, which had the advantage of switchable IEC/NAB equalization.  I sent it to Jeff Jacobs for a refit, which was not possible.  Not being a fan of the Technics tape path (I am all thumbs) I wanted to replace it with something else, and Jeff was able to set me up with a Tascam BR20, and I totally prefer the tape path on that.  That one is switchable as well.  But....I would actually love to play 4 track tapes in my better living room system (I have a Tandberg and Akai in my office, but no room for them in my living room), and I am looking at an Otari MX-5050BII 2, which has a 4 track head as well as the two track.  I downloaded a copy of the users manual, and the equalization switch is on the back, not the front like the Technics and the Tascam, but the manual says, and I quote "NAB or IEC for 3-3/4, 7-1/2 and 15 ips.  Switchable on the rear panel, but calibration is necessary."  Does this mean for recording only, or does one need to calibrate for playback as well?  I have been switching on the Tascam - I have all of the TPP tapes, of course, and I have also collected a few 7.5 ips 2 track NAB tapes as well, which I have been playing.  Thanks for any insight here.
Events / Next release?
« Last post by analogmaster on November 02, 2022, 05:44:49 PM »
Haven't checked here in awhile, but wanted to know if there will be any new offerings in the near future?
Reel to Reel Tape Machines / Re: Hi Everyone!
« Last post by tapepath on April 22, 2022, 01:39:27 PM »
Hello Ki,
Welcome!
Reel to Reel Tape Machines / Hi Everyone!
« Last post by Ki Choi on April 16, 2022, 12:43:05 PM »
I'm back!

It's been too long since I played here - where it all started for the love of music on tape and lust for studio machines.

Regards,

Ki
Service Resources / Re: Stellavox service and parts
« Last post by hafrse on December 10, 2021, 07:41:54 AM »
Agree,  I have ordered many parts from Mr. Simonet, he is correct and professional., an assit for Stellavox users :)
Be Altitude: Respect Yourself / When was the last time Staple Singers was in stock?
« Last post by cupboy on April 08, 2021, 08:37:53 PM »
Got an e-mail today saying it was back in stock. I'm curious about how long it has been since last time this title was in stock.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10