Tape Project Albums > Waltz for Debby

Waltz for Debby TP 008

<< < (2/5) > >>

docb:
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, and thanks for the great photos, Mike. I am stoked to get over and listen to your Studer.

I have say say I really enjoy the tape/LP comparison comments here. I get a lot of phone calls asking me if tape is really better than a good LP or high res digital. The thing I try to point out is that Paul, Michael and I could have started a label putting out music in any of those formats. The guys make digital masters every day with Pacific Microsonics Model 2s, and a lot of those are high res masters. Paul has his Scully lathe up and running, sharing the duping room with the Ampexes. So the equipment and the experience are there. With all those choices sitting in the same building, we chose tape - not because it was any easier or cheaper to produce, not because there were more titles available to license than other formats, and certainly not because it was a dominant format in terms of user base. So if you think about it, about the only the reason left for doing it this way would have to be that it rewards you with a pretty compelling listening experience.

Ben:
Don't say almost 50 years to 1961 . I was born in 1960.
The real shame is seeing the quality of music drop since then.
BTW mikel was is on the wall behind the the TT and R2R?
You are the only person so far I seen with room treatment.

mikel:

--- Quote from: Ben on October 25, 2008, 10:42:47 AM ---Don't say almost 50 years to 1961 . I was born in 1960.
The real shame is seeing the quality of music drop since then.
BTW mikel was is on the wall behind the the TT and R2R?
You are the only person so far I seen with room treatment.

--- End quote ---

hi Ben,

here is a link to pictures of my room.

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

the pictures are now out of date as they don't show my RTR decks or my other tt's. if you scroll to the bottom there is a link to an article i wrote about my room construction and the acoustic treatments.

the treatments behind my tt and RTR decks are the built-in side diffusers. i have my three tt's on the left side of my room and the three RTR decks on the right side of my room.

all the room treatment in my room was designed into it.

Doc, you are most welcome anytime. i know you are pretty busy but when it works let me know.

cheers,

mikel

Ben:
Very nice set up, the only thing I think I that could be improved is normal
room lighting. Since you seem to have the right fixtures, try here for real daylight
bulbs. http://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/infopages/index.html

JoeG:
This tape is the real deal boys and girls! I spent last evening going back and forth between the tape and then the 45 rpm and the 33 rpm LPs played back on my Walker TT. There is something very special about the decay, sustain and timbre of the piano as reproduced on TP008. It is not there on the 180g 33 1/3 LP, but I am not quite ready to say that the 45 is better than the tape or the tape is better than the 45.

The 33 1/3 has gone back to the shelf and I will focus on the other two. My guess is that at the end of the day, one is not going to be better, just different than the other. Surface noise is non-existent on the tape, giving an other-worldly creepiness to the crowd noise. Forks dropping, snippets of conversation, and the applause at the end of each piece are rendered better on the tape.

I was prepared to say the bass went down deeper on the LP, but after adjusting the VTA on my tonearm, bass on both is deep and articulate.

Another homerun from the TP boys!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version