TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Teac X-1000R / X-2000R  (Read 17796 times)

Offline Wardsweb

• View Profile
    • Wardsweb LLC Graphics and Web Design
Teac X-1000R / X-2000R
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:02:54 PM »
I have owned as many as three of these at the same time. So, you have any questions on the transport sticking, your belt becoming a gooey mess or general maintenace, feel free to ask. I also have the owner and service manual. Here are a couple I have now.

Offline beefman

• View Profile
Re: Teac X-1000R / X-2000R
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 10:50:58 AM »
Please bear in mind that the X-1000R/X-2000R in stock form won't be suitable in any way for Tape Project reels. The machines won't run at 15IPS and are 4-track only.  The X-2000M, however, will work fine.
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline valdas901

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
Hi,
I got one unit X-1000R of E-bay in a pretty good cosmetic condition, but unfortunately capstan drive is not moving. I checked 24V is comming to the control PCB, but I do not know much what to look for on the board to troubleshoot. Does the 24DC motor suppose to show relatively low Resistance? Something around several Ohms? Unit has been sitting for a long time and I expect that some silly issue had happened from not being used.
thanks,
Valdas

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:42:14 PM »
Hey Luther, that sure is a nice looking shop you've got there,.. hardwood floors?  Now you're just showing off!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline dneu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
I always liked TEAC x1000R, but only now I was able to purchase one on the E-bay. To my disappointment it performs poorly. . it sounds like wow & flutter is totally out of any tolerance. I opened the machine. The belt looks Ok, but i do not have any means to check whether it is stretched. Adjusting FWD play trimmer did not help. It seems odd that a trimmer i set 3/4 way to the right. Pinch rollers seem to be pressing sufficiently on capstans, but the tape is moving unevenly. Only when I press hard with my fingers on a pinch roller cap towards the capstan, the sound slightly improves. The service manual downloaded from the Internet dose not give enough hints on what I should focus. Please, can you help with an advice?

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
Hey dneu (btw, we use our real names here, please read the Forum Rules),

With any new (to you) machine, it's important to thoroughly clean the tape path. That includes the heads and any guides that the tape comes in contact with. Using a good light and some sort magnification helps.
Also, the tape(s) you're trying to play may be sticky. Particularly if they're Ampex 456 or other back coated tapes of that era.
You should get some new tape and designate a reel just for testing and working on the machine.
The 2 current production tapes can be found here;

http://usrecordingmedia.com/

Another fairly common issue that leads to erratic tape speed are binding brakes. Take a look at your service manual and perform the brake tests and if needed, adjust the brakes.

One pitfall that many machine owners fall into is adjusting things without knowing that they do indeed, require adjustment.
So, if you're not sure, don't adjust it! Some adjustments require special gear to adjust properly and if you don't have that gear, you're bound to make things worse.
Unless you have a good bit of experience with the machine, it's always a good idea to take it to a good service tech. He/she can go through the machine and lubricate, clean and adjust things to factory spec. They can also give you an idea if the heads need lapping which ideally should be done before all the fine adjustments.
Getting everything checked over and adjusted by an experienced tech will give you a baseline so you'll know when something isn't right.

If you're new to the wonderful world of reel to reel tape, take a gander at the "Beginners Guide" located in a stick above the General Forum.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline dneu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:59:41 PM »
Thanks Steve,

I think, I solved one of the problems. What shop manual does not tell you is that there are two trimmers to adjust the tension of the guide roller arms.
One is for the left and the other for the right arm. It took me some time to figure out how to adjust them (perhaps only very close to factory specs) without having any special tools. It would be nice to have a testing tape and scope and to depend on ones ears only. Thus far, when I run a tape on my venerable SOny TC377 and then on X1000R I do not notice a difference. A 7minute recording takes exactly the same time on both machines. But I have encountered another problem A bad ground of sort on X1000R. I have to have both RCA jack connected to the output terminals. otherwise I get some power frequency hum. When I connect the recorder and the ampifier with a ground wire, the sound really comes alive. Any idea where to look for the source of this problem?
Dusan Neumann