TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: The Miles Davis Story  (Read 10833 times)

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
Re: The Miles Davis Story
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »
Hi Bob,

Same to you : -)
Do you have other experiences that you can share?

- Sam

Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
Hello and good Sunday afternoon to you and yours c1ferrari,

I just came from church and wanted to respond to your question. Sam, while I worked for the Dept Of The Army in Germany I had many wonderful experiences where jazz was concerned. I was blessed to work at a club in Frankfurt Germany as a photographer. Mind you, when I left Washington DC I had a Minolta 35mm manual camera but would only call myself a rank beginner. When I arrived in Germany and after beginning to learn my job as an addictions program manager and how to get around, I learned of a photo lab on a nearby military post. After checking it out, I found out the manager was willing to teach me about the camera in all it's glory. When I had been under his instructions for about 7 months, I started going on weekends to a jazz club in Frankfurt. I got to know the manager who would permit me to take photos only if I promised him 3 (9x14) black and whites of every jazz musician who came to the club. I promised I would. Each time a talent would come to play, I would do the photos. By the way, I processed each print myself in the photo lab. I took photos of many jazz greats to include Dizziy Gilesspie, Nat Adderly, Woody Shaw, Chet Baker, Joe Henderson, the Heath brothers, and others. Many jazz greats would stop in Germany from Paris to make extra money before returning to the USA.

I have a stash of negatives brought back from Germany I was never able to process. I keep telling myself I am going to get them done here in the USA. Everything is digital now so I've got to find a photo business that is still processing 35mm negatives. I don't dare take them to Walmart or CVS Pharmacy who is going the try and process them through a machine.  Anyway, thanks for asking sir. You may PM me if you have other questions sir.

Bob W.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:27:29 PM by rbwtapeinterlink-Bob »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 01:30:23 PM »
Thanks, Bob -- I sympathize regarding the processing of film...I consider it chemical magic :-)

-Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »
Bob, When you say "process" do you mean develop the negatives? Or do you have negatives that need to be printed? Look for a local photography club or even college coarse. Check for municipal night school coarses that may also have a class that includes a darkroom. I miss my darkroom. :-(
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 11:45:32 AM »
Hello Listens2Tubes,
You are right on target my friend. I had not even given any thought to colleges (schools) with dark room, etc. Man, that's great. I have negatives that need to be printed. I will follow your lead sir.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.