TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Studer C37 restoration  (Read 42142 times)

Offline eraserhead

• Steven A. France
    • View Profile
    • phasecontrol
Studer C37 restoration
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:05:56 AM by eraserhead »

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Studer C37 restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »
Wow! Beautiful. Thanks for sharing such a detailed description of your hard work.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
I've gotta give that one the best post award! Thanks for sharing that with us.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 06:08:00 PM »
That is incredible! You did an amazing job!

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »
wow!!!

congratulations, that is one spectacular machine!
SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline heideana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »
I am not worthy!  I am not worthy!

Wow...that is really impressive!!!!!!
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »
Sir,

You are indeed a "risk taker" and I believe that's what it takes to do what you have accomplished here. It's difficult for me to imagine putting 100 plus hours into this particular reel to reel. Can you suggest why you chose this machine? Thank you for sharing this labor of love.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline eraserhead

• Steven A. France
    • View Profile
    • phasecontrol
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 07:26:38 AM »
Sir,

You are indeed a "risk taker" and I believe that's what it takes to do what you have accomplished here. It's difficult for me to imagine putting 100 plus hours into this particular reel to reel. Can you suggest why you chose this machine? Thank you for sharing this labor of love.

Bob W.

Hi All !

I did this job for one of my relative. My favorite tubes machine is the TELEFUNKEN M10, not the C37...

Offline intell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »
cool post! great job!
congratulations!

thank's for photos.
Best regards! Anton

Offline rjones5296

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »
WOW your work is fantastic! you give me hope, I have a Revox G36 I need to restore. Your work is truly beautiful.
bob
Bob Jones
Thorens TD124,SME3009.Denon 103,Music Reference RM5,Perreaux 1150b,Leak Stereo 50,Accuphase T100,Revox B126,RevoxG36,RevoxA77,Technics RS1700,RevoxB710,Revox PR99,Revox B780,Revox B226

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »
Did you ever see that article "the Greening of a G36 "(or something like that). I think it was from Audio Amateur. It was a restoration of a G36 and used to be available online. If you can't find it, I have it somewhere so PM me. Really good stuff.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rjones5296

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 09:26:03 AM »
Steve
Yes I have seen that article, good stuff.
Wasn't that in the first issue of Glass Audio? Im sorry that Glass audio was absorbed into the Audio Amateur fold, I waited for each issue like a rabid dog.
I re read that article, just for the heck of it, it inspired me to start looking for a G36, it just took a long time to find a good examle.
Im up to 3 now...........

This is a cool story about a G36 that I have.......
Some time back I bought a G36, that has less that 10 hours on it i'm guessing.
The G36 was found in a closet after the father passed away, He had bought it new and used it for the ocassonal family slide show, ( I have the hand held cable remote also).
The daughter told she remembered the Revox but hadnt seen it in many years, untill they found it boxed up and buried in a closet.
I have the original box, all the tags are still on the machine.
The only thing I had to do was wipe it off, it looks and works like new.
As a precaution I did a service, cleaning and relubing the motors, cleaned the brakes,cleaned and lubed the counter, cleaned tube pins ect.... I can hardly hear it run with my ear a foot away.

bob

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:34:39 AM by rjones5296 »
Bob Jones
Thorens TD124,SME3009.Denon 103,Music Reference RM5,Perreaux 1150b,Leak Stereo 50,Accuphase T100,Revox B126,RevoxG36,RevoxA77,Technics RS1700,RevoxB710,Revox PR99,Revox B780,Revox B226

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »
Wow, great story Bob. We have to thank all those folks that expected something "plug and play" when they bought some of these machines. I've got an old Ampex F44 that was in mint condition too. Nothing like the build of a G36 which I've come close to buying a few times.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »
I've got an old Ampex F44 that was in mint condition too

You can hardly hear them run with your foot in your ear.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »
I've got an old Ampex F44 that was in mint condition too

You can hardly hear them run with your foot in your ear.

Sure, sure,.. laugh it up boys!
Seriously though, when I think about all the trouble I go through to get rid of those little vibrations and noises in my Technics (the ones I can only hear at night), when all I really need to do is leave that Ampex on in the same room and problem solved. I know a guy that was trying to get me to take his 8 track Ampex 440 off his hands and that wasn't the quietest machine I've ever heard either.
Studer/Revox seems to deserve their reputation as among the best crafted machines you can buy. Probably owing some of the credit to the German steel industry which was generally considered tops in production and machining when I was growing up.
And what's up with the extreme quality that seemed to run rampant with portable r2r (Nagra and Stellavox). It seems like one moment, the Lomax's were dragging a Roberts or Ampex 600 around the Appalachians and the next, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. was using a Nagra to record wiretaps in Col. Sanders' cellar. That's a pretty significant jump in quality ( I know that Uher made some excellent machines at 1/4 of the price). I guess it might've been the time coding that necessitated a steady transport. If anyone has any reel to reel history on this subject, I'd love to hear it.
There were a lot of wonderful r2r machines that I only know bits and pieces about. Scullys, Magnecord, Telefunken, 3M, Sony/MCI. If you have a machine that you treasure, I'd love to hear why. Or if you've had experience with one of the "rare birds" of open reel, (like a Stephens for instance) I'd love to hear what you thought.
I think that the ' Reel to Reel Tape Machines' forum would be a better place to post that sort of thing, but if you've had an interesting experience recording on location, tell me a story about it. I don't think you'll find a better audience for this kind of thing.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades